From Midwest Living
- 3 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened, sliced rhubarb
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup shortening
- ½ cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside.
For filling: In a medium saucepancombine rhubarb, the 1 cup granulated sugar and water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine the ½ cup granulated sugar and the 2 tablespoons flour. Stir into rhubarb mixture. Cook and stir about 1 minute more or until thick. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the 1 ½ cups flour, oats, brown sugar and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in shortening till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in ½ cup pecans or walnuts. Reserve 1 cup of the crumb mixture.
Press remaining crumb mixture into the bottom of prepared pan. Evenly spread rhubarb mixture on top. Sprinkle with reserved crumb mixture and chopped nuts (optional). Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars; makes roughly 45 bars.
- 1 stalk of rhubarb (1 to 1 ½ cups), diced
- ¼ cup of sweet bell pepper, diced
- 2 tablespoons of diced white or red onion
- 2 tablespoons of diced scallions
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons of cilantro, diced
- 1 tablespoon of lime juice
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
Bring 2 cups of water in a saucepan to boiling. Blanch rhubarb by placing in the boiling water for 10-20 seconds. Quickly remove the rhubarb and place in a colander. Run cold water over the rhubarb to stop the cooking process. Blot the rhubarb with a paper towel to dry.
In a separate bowl, combine the bell pepper, onion, scallions, jalapeno and cilantro. Add rhubarb and mix ingredients.
In a small separate bowl, dissolve the honey in the lime juice and apple cider vinegar. Drizzle this dressing over the rhubarb salsa and stir. Add salt and pepper. Mix well.
Chill for at least 30 minutes.